The day that didn’t go as planned

It was a Thursday morning.  I was 20 weeks and 4 days pregnant with two sweet little boys who had started wiggling and moving to the point that I could feel them.  I woke up feeling excited for the day, as we had our anatomy scan for the babies that day, and then a tour of a new LDS temple in the area that was having an open house.  I couldn’t have asked for a better day.

Alex and I got up and got ready for the day.  Our appointment was at 10:30 in the morning.  We took a bump picture before we left, just to document our journey so far. Then we went on our happy way to the appointment. iphone-216-132

We checked in and waited for them to call us back.  My name was called, we went back, they checked my weight and my blood pressure, and soon we were sitting in MFM ultrasound room 2.

The ultrasound tech came in and we started with the ultrasound. The babies checked out perfectly.  Our baby A had slightly enlarged kidneys, but other then that, they we happy and wiggly.  The ultrasound tech left and we waited to talk to the doctor. She came in and was very nice and informative.  She said our babies looked great.  I explained to her how my doctor asked that we take a close look at the cervix.  She agreed that it would be a good idea, and sent the ultrasound tech back in.

She did a vaginal ultrasound, which is the best way to get a look at the cervix.  After about five minutes, I asked her if what she was looking at was my cervix or not.  She said she was having a hard time visualizing the cervix and wasn’t sure if what she was seeing was actually the cervix or not.  She was going to step out and have the doctor come in and try.  As soon as she left the room, I told Alex something was wrong. I had been working in healthcare for the last eight years and the fact that she wasn’t sure if she could see it or not was the biggest line of crap that I had ever heard.

The doctor came back in and told us that she wasn’t going to be doing anymore ultrasound pictures, because she didn’t want to irritate the cervix anymore than what it was.  My cervix was measuring 4mm (the average is about 3.5cm) and I had funneling (this is where the amniotic sac starts to come through the cervix.)  She gave us very strict instructions to go home on bedrest, to monitor the contractions, and to return to labor and delivery if my water breaks.

We were scared beyond belief.  We were unsure of what the future held for us.  We went home with the adorable ultrasound pictures that we had just received and settled in for hopefully a long time of laying in bed and resting.


Alex was great and made sure to take care of me if I needed anything.  As it became Friday, the contractions continued.  I called my doctors office and talked to the nurse, who suggested that I try drinking some more water, but to go in to labor and delivery if they continued.

Early Saturday morning, I woke up at 4:00 to contractions.  I drank some water, rested, and gave it some time.  By 10:00, they were still pretty regular.  I told Alex that I thought it would be the best if we went in to L&D just to be safe.  We grabbed my bag, and we headed into the hospital.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s